Designer and Instructor
- FLT 807 Methods (Online) for MAFLT Program, MSU – 6 semesters
- LLT 807 Methods (F2F) for MA TESOL Program, MSU – 1 semester
- LLT 307 Methods (F2F) for BA and ESL endorsement, MSU – 1 semester
- AL 318 Methods (F2F) for Applied Linguistics BA, GSU – 1 semester
- ESL and ESL Pedagogy for BA and MA students, Ostravska univerzita
- OER Methods course for LCTL Instructors, with Dr. Rajiv Ranjan
- FLITE Hybrid Methods course for intensive summer program instructors
FLT 807 Course Description
Methods of Foreign Language Teaching offers a foundation in approaches, methods, and materials for the teaching of second and foreign languages from the perspectives of second language acquisition (SLA) research.
This fully-online course has 7 modules. These modules, consisting of instructor videos, readings, useful links, published videos, and assignments, can be accessed through the course page on Michigan State University’s learning management system, D2L (http://d2l.msu.edu). This course requires online participation, weekly quizzes, four written assignments, and a final exam.
We begin by reviewing the history of language teaching methods and basic concepts pertaining to the field and then focus on specific communicative modes, planning, motivation and strategies, and other pertinent topics. In particular, we focus on implementing communicative and task-based approaches to promoting language skills and language learning strategies. Designed for pre-service and in-service teachers of any language, this course emphasizes the development of effective decision making by constantly drawing connections between theory and practice and encouraging reflection on students’ language learning and teaching experience. The major tasks for this course include writing a critical review of currently available teaching materials and a teaching philosophy, both grounded in current research and practice.
Videos on MediaSpace
(Available to anyone with the link – feel free to view and share)
Slides in OneDrive Folder
(MSU and specific individuals only – contact me to request access)